Tabs blank on some computers.

Oct 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2013 at 5:31 PM
Hi

I am trying to get the CCA Agent Desktop, oob, to run. On my development machine everything works fine. When I copy the bin/debug folder to another computer, even signing in as myself the desktop displays but the tabs are all blank. The search works ok, but when double clicking on a contact the tabs open but again all tabs are blank.

My dev computer Win 7 64x IE 10
Other computer Win 7 64x IE 9

Url is in trusted on both computers.

Below is the log, for the successful run. The only difference in the failed run log is these two lines are missing from the failed run.

16/Oct/13 4:32:08 PM: CRM: WF/Automation 222c578f-5e1a-422b-b602-0b948880d44e completed (duration 219ms)
16/Oct/13 4:32:09 PM: MyDashboard: WF/Automation 14df34c8-8fdc-4d7f-931a-9ec78c030071 completed (duration 78ms)

Thanks Paul

full log. -----------
16/Oct/13 4:32:02 PM: CCA: Agentdesktop starting...
16/Oct/13 4:32:02 PM: CCA: Unable to load DLL 'windowsaccessbridge.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: CCA: Sessions.AddSession: Adding new session: ''
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: CCA: Sessions.SetActiveSession: Switching to session: ''
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=My Notes type=ExternalHosted
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Workflow Manager type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Current Session Viewer type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Customer Search type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Application Explorer type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Session Tabs type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Workflow Explorer type=HostedControl
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=CRM type=WebHosted
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=MyDashboard type=WebHosted
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=CRM Knowledge Base type=WebHosted
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: ApplicationHost: ApplicationHost: Loading app=Power Search type=WebHosted
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: CCA: WF/AutomationManager startup completed
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: CRM: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=CRM): Initialized
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: MyDashboard: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=MyDashboard): Initialized
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: Power Search: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=Power Search): Initialized
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: CRM: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=CRM): ContextChange(): context=<UiiContext />
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: MyDashboard: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=MyDashboard): ContextChange(): context=<UiiContext />
16/Oct/13 4:32:06 PM: Power Search: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=Power Search): ContextChange(): context=<UiiContext />
16/Oct/13 4:32:08 PM: CRM: WF/Automation 222c578f-5e1a-422b-b602-0b948880d44e completed (duration 219ms)
16/Oct/13 4:32:09 PM: MyDashboard: WF/Automation 14df34c8-8fdc-4d7f-931a-9ec78c030071 completed (duration 78ms)
16/Oct/13 4:42:10 PM: CCA: Sessions.CloseSession: Closing session: ''
16/Oct/13 4:42:10 PM: CRM: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=CRM): Closed
16/Oct/13 4:42:11 PM: MyDashboard: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=MyDashboard): Closed
16/Oct/13 4:42:11 PM: Power Search: AutomationAdapter (session=4c6dc194-02b9-447f-9d59-a129c3e46c29, app=Power Search): Closed
16/Oct/13 4:42:11 PM: CCA: Agentdesktop exited.
Oct 17, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Hi All.

I really do need help with this please.

Paul
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:09 AM
Hi Paul,

Are you getting Blank tabs for all the urls or for those specific urls??

Try to host Google.com,Bing.com & see the result.


ALso, please lower down the UAC on those computers by navigating to :

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts :>> Click on the "Change User Account Control Setting" and select it to the minimum value.

Regards,
NitiN
Marked as answer by PaulMitton on 10/18/2013 at 9:36 AM
Oct 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Hi Paul,

I would also like to check "Protection Mode" setting in IE..

Regards
Srikanth
Marked as answer by PaulMitton on 10/18/2013 at 9:38 AM
Oct 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Hi NitiN

Bing.ca does work. We have no need for that functionality so I had not set anything like that up.

That did however with the next post from Srikanth did point me to look at more things.

Thanks very much for your help.

Paul
Oct 18, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi Srikanth

With NitiN's post and your post I got pointed in the right direction.

I needed to enable protection mode in the intranet zone. And then things started to work.

I do have one nagging problem but is not critical, which I will start another thread for.

Thanks very much for your help.

Paul
Nov 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM
We had this issue quite a bit when we first launched CCA mainly because we had a couple of custom web application adapters. If you look through this thread, if it applies, Matt provided some useful code for custom Web Application Adapters.

https://crmcca.codeplex.com/discussions/352604

What really helped us the most is that there was an update for a couple of CCA files, specifically Csr.Browser.dll that once implementing these 2 .dll's we virtually all but eliminated the blank tabs. When we removed the files, the blank tabs came back.

I don't have the link to where I grabbed these two files but I can send them your way if you need them.

Jeremy