Making AgentDesktop portable

Jan 30, 2013 at 3:33 PM

For demo purposes, I would like to copy the \debug folder for AgentDesktop and give it to a customer. They have locked-down desktops and cannot install software without a package being built and installed by their IT department.

Can AgentDesktop be made portable so it can run from, say a USB stick or by sending a ZIP file?

Jan 30, 2013 at 4:22 PM
Yes. I have demoed this way a number of times. Just make sure you are logging to the same directory as the agent desktop is running in.

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: ‎1/‎30/‎2013 8:34 AM
To: mattb-msft@hotmail.com
Subject: Making AgentDesktop portable [crmcca:431432]

For demo purposes, I would like to copy the \debug folder for AgentDesktop and give it to a customer. They have locked-down desktops and cannot install software without a package being built and installed by their IT department.

Can AgentDesktop be made portable so it can run from, say a USB stick or by sending a ZIP file?

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Yes, Agent dekstop's debug folder can be copied and given. It works perfectly fine!
Feb 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Of course .NET Framework and Identity Foundation have to be installed.
Feb 1, 2013 at 5:18 PM
<div> <div style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Framework, yes.. Identity following foundation, no.<br> You can include the Microsoft.identity dll in the agent desktop directory. In the assemblies folder of your project, set that reference to copy local.<br> <br> It will be included in the bin directory. <br> <br> Sent from my Windows Phone</div> </div> <div dir="ltr"> <hr> <span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif; font-weight:bold">From: </span><span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><a href="mailto:notifications@codeplex.com">ndi</a></span><br> <span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif; font-weight:bold">Sent: </span><span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">‎2/‎1/‎2013 9:54 AM</span><br> <span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif; font-weight:bold">To: </span><span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif"><a href="mailto:mattb-msft@hotmail.com">mattb-msft@hotmail.com</a></span><br> <span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif; font-weight:bold">Subject: </span><span style="font-size:11pt; font-family:Calibri,sans-serif">Re: Making AgentDesktop portable [crmcca:431432]</span><br> <br> </div> <p>From: ndi</p> <div id="ThreadNotificationPostBody">Of course .NET Framework and Identity Foundation have to be installed.</div> <div></div>
Feb 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Edited Feb 1, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Thanks for the HTML primer, Matt. (If this doesn't make sense, look at the text above in codeplex) :-)

Good note on the identity DLL, I ran into that after doing some tracing. But if your customer has a locked-down workstation without WIF installed, just copy the DLL into the Debug folder. If they don't have .NET 4.0... (good luck with that).

So the "mini cookbook" is to copy the AgentDesktop\Bin\Debug folder and make the following changes:
  1. Copy Microsoft.IdentityModel.DLL to the folder
    In AgentDesktop.exe.config:
  2. Find <add name="LoggingLogFile" type="Microsoft.Uii.Common.Logging.Providers.LoggingLogFile, Microsoft.Uii.Common.Logging.Providers" logfile="C:\Temp\CCA.log" appname="CCA" /> and change "C:\Temp\CCA.log" to "CCA.log"
Optionally
  1. Find <add key="authenticationMode" value="Windows" /> and change value="Windows" to value="Other" if users are on workstations that are not on the same domain as the server. Note you will need to give them a domain account.
I also recommend going into the CCA demo site and making a team, then assigning the cases to the team instead of an individual, if mulitiple accounts will be used for the demo.