[SOLVED] HowTo pass parameters to WebHostedApplication without using the Context?

Jan 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Hi All,

is there another way to pass parameters to an WebHostedApplication except of the SessionContext?

-First i though about an Automation - are input Parameters supported there?  If yes, how does that work?

-Then ive implemented a Custom WebApplicationAdapter and was about to catch the parameter sent via the RequestActionEventArgs. But the WebApplicationAdapter seems to work on another more baseline level, so i was only able to get the fired Action without the params.

Is there an elegant solution or do i have to put all those params into the Context and therefore raise an Context change event?

Any help is appreciated

thanks in advance

NDI

P.S.: The QueryString-Field of the UII-Action Entity isnt a solution because the parameters are actually user input and therefore generated during runtime.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:15 AM

anybody ?

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Hello ndi,

The automation approach works, you pass the data you need using the actionDataObject that is really a string. Depending on what you need to pass you can comma separate the data or serialize it in XML.

The application adapter approach also works, you call the firerequestaction on one end and override the doaction on the other end, and again the data goes into the action data string.

Does this answers your question?

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Hi drtiana,

first of all - thanks for your reply.

Ive missed two key facts:

1. To transport the parameter i dont have to set the (object)data parameter in the RequestActionEventArgs but the Data string-property.

After that i get the passed parameter as the content of the <root> element from the referenced data parameter of the overwritten DoAction method in the custom Adapter. 

2. I didnt see the GetActionData Activity to use the parameter in my workflow class and was messing around with some Arguments as inputparameter oO

Conclusion:

The data parameter of the RequestActionEventArgs only works for HostedControls, and there only in the overwritten DoAction method.

I dont think that design is very intuitive but now iam able to implement my control anyway.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

ndi