Building a CCA Agent Desktop without using the whole CRM

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Hi.

I was hired to work in a project using the CCA to build an Agent Desktop that will work with around 15 applications (webapps, desktop, putty, etc). There is no intention to use nothing from the CRM, the client just want an smart integration among the applications to speed up the use.

The first thought was the OpenSpan but MS did a better offer and they sold the whole CRM.

Now, my question is (and I couldn't found anything really clear about that):

What I really need to accomplish that in a matter of requirements? CRM Server installed on a Win2008 Server?

And/Or can I just install the SDK on a Win7 with VS2010, customize (programming) all the sharing data between the applications, build and deploy the Agent Desktop?

Thanks for the attention.

Rodrigo.

Aug 14, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Rodrigo,

CCA does require that Dynamics CRM 2011 is installed either in their environment (On-Premise) or in the cloud (CRM Online or Partner Hosted).  To get CRM 2011 up and running, you would need 2 things:

- Windows Server 2008 x64 (R2, if they have it)
- SQL Server 2008 x64 bit as well

The full list of hardware/software requirements are available here.

CRM 2011 has 4 core components:

- CRM Email Router
- CRM Server
- CRM Asynchronous Service
- CRM Report Connector for SSRS

The 1st 3 items can be installed on the same Windows 2008 Server, while the CRM Report Connector is installed on the server that hosts reporting services.  During the installation you can choose to install all components on a single server or just certain roles, in this case you can install all of them on one server. 

Once CRM is up and running, you will have to import the CCA Solution Components (.zip file that you import in the CRM UI), import some data and run the RIConfig utility to finish setting it up.  CCA pulls all of it's configuration information directly from CRM so will you need to setup all CCA users in CRM as well.  The solution documentation for CCA has information on security etc.

When you're ready to test out the Agent Desktop, in the AgentDesktop.exe.config file you will need to change the URL to match that of CRM, it will looks something like:

http://<server_url>/<orgname>/XRMServices/2011/OrganizationService.svc  -- This is the actual connection to the web service.  THe <orgname> identifies the instance of CRM, since some versions can have more than 1 instance of the application running.  The Org Name will be specified during the installation of CRM.

At that point, I would just work through the Setup Documentation for CCA to finish the configuration of users/teams etc in CCA.

Let me know if you have any questions or would like/need assistance in getting CRM installed.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Aug 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Thanks a lot Jeremy, much appreciated!

Do you think I will have any issues installing on a VMWare?

What about the development of the Agent Desktop? That's the only thing I didn't get, sorry for that. After the CRM is up and running, can I install the VS2010 with the SDK in another machine to build the Agent (knowing that it will need to connect to the CRM as you said above) ?

Thanks again.

Rodrigo

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Rodrigo,

You can install CRM 2011 on VMWare.  The 2 posts below show some good examples of installing CRM in general (link 1)

Installing CRM 2011

The 2nd linke below, shows an example of installing it in a virtualized environment (uses Oracle VMBox), but you can install it on VMWare as long as the servers you setup are 64-bit

VMBox Install

The Agent Desktop includes the associated .dll's for the CRM 2011 SDK.  You can install and develop the Agent Desktop on any PC running VS2010.  You do not need to download the CRM SDK, but I recommend it so you have it for reference.  Out of the box the CCA Agent Desktop is hooked in to search CRM 2011 for customers when the Search function is used, either through the Find Customer Button or CTI Integration.  The CRMWrapper.cs file has all the logic to search CRM.

Jeremy

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:26 PM

just a bit added on here to Jeremy's post.

The CRM DLL's in the UII framework directory are somewhat .... dated .... :)

Please pull and copy over the current ones from the CRM SDK.

Mattb-MSFT.

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Thanks Jeremy and Matt. Everything is much clear now.

Sorry for the silly questions =)