Customer Care Accelerator (CCA) and Avaya CTI Server Integration

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning to design and develop a CCA solution with the integration with an Avaya CTI server.
I need to supply all the typical communication features inside CCA.
I understood that CCA provide a CTI framework but no specific connectors.
I also understood that Avaya provides a .NET SKD (Coomunication Control Toolkit) with some reference client application to manage communications.
I ask you if anybody has experienced a similar integration? I imagine, with this sdk, there is no the need to create custom CTI connectors, am I right?
Could you please give me some suggestions on this topic?
Have you never used some Avaya remote labs or development environment to develop this kind of solution?
Do you think there is some reference application (for example here on Codeplex) that show the integration between Avaya server and CCA?
Thanks.

Daniele

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:08 AM

There is a good deal of documentation on the CTI Controls on the CHM file for UII, you can also look here, which gives an overview of the process and the way it works.. Additionally you can look at the CTI adapter in CCA’s Example CTI layer to see how that’s put together.

Finally, you can also get the UII solution starters from the Visual Studio Gallery ( blog post here ) which have a CTI adapter template project.

( Plug here ) If your open to working with Microsoft Services, they have a good deal of experience with Avaya and some bits to move things along.  Reach out to your MS CRM rep if your intersted in that. ( end plug )

Mattb.

Jul 18, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Hi Matt,

I thank you very much for your answer and suggestions.

Congratulation for the UII templates for Visual Studio.

How you can understand I'm novice with CTI, therefore I need to understand in depth the architecture. I will follow your suggestions.

Regards,
Daniele

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Hello Daniele,

I have succesfully implemented 2 Avaya CTI integrations with CCA/CCF/UII and I can give you some ideas/considerations that result from my handson experience:

-TSAPI is a commonly used CTI interface on Avaya.

-Avaya offers more CTI interfaces so you can choose your best fit according to technology ,platform and needs.

-The TSAPi interface has one limitation: agentstateschanges are not pushed! They need to be pulled. Push is only available to partner software integrators of Avaya.

CCA has indeed CTI features included in its design. However, for my projects they did not fulfill my needs. Some considerations:

-Only phone channel is implemented. There is no clear multi channel approach on session management. So this can be another reason to bypass the standard CTI implementation.

-The implementation in the framework focusses on hostedcontrols and hosted applications whereas much of our code is present in viewmodels not bound to hosted controls. For that reason the framework cti implementation can be tricky to use from some software components.

As Tieto NL, we have developed a CTI server that wraps Avaya and Aspect CTI functionality into one generic CTI interface which hides the tedious messaging that comes with TSAPI for example.

Regards,

Wim Leermakers

Jul 22, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback, on the CTI subsystem

The system is designed to be modality independent, just focusing on call control and eventing. Though there is some extension to it around chat as a matter of necessity in supporting custom chat UIs.

As for using view models.. We do that quite often in UII using the hosted control as the base for the view.  At some point I plan on adding a template to the Solution starters that has an implementation of a Hosted control presenting a view model.

MattB.