The Extensions XML field

May 25, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Hi,

I have tried to figure out what the Extensions XML field (in UII Hosted apps and UII Actions) is used for. Can I use it as I want (given that I provide valid XML) or is it for internal use?

Btw, is there an easy way to retreive the value of the Extensions XML field (cannot find it using the built-in ApplicationRecord class) except querying the CRM OrganizationService?

Thanks in advance,
Johan

Jun 6, 2012 at 4:20 PM

You can get to it in hosted controls in the constructor:

EX: 
public BaseCtiDesktopManagerControl(Guid appId, string appName, string appInitString)
            : base(appId, appName, appInitString)
{

}

Read the appInitString into a XDocument ( or XMLDocument.. ) and look for the extensions node

In a webadapter, or extended adapter its called this.ApplicationInitString

that will get you access to the XML in that node.

Mattb-msft.

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Thank you Matt,

But, just to confirm - can I put whatever I want into the ExtensionsXML field (given that it is valid XML)? I.e. the field is "just mine"? No dependencies within UII?

Regards,
Johan

Jun 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Yes. It must be a valid XML. That is the only restriction

Sent from my Windows Phone

Sent: 6/7/2012 2:14 AM
To: mattb-msft@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: The Extensions XML field [crmcca:357105]

Thank you Matt,

But, just to confirm - can I put whatever I want into the ExtensionsXML field (given that it is valid XML)? I.e. the field is "just mine"? No dependencies within UII?

Regards,
Johan

Jun 11, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Hello again,

So now I'm using it and I try to find a way to semi-automate the deployment from Visual Studio. Each Web-app that I host is a separate UII Project with corresponding Initstring.xml and Actions.xml files. In Initstring.xml I found the <Extensions> node which I assumed suitable to put my custom XML into. When I right-click the project and select Deploy the <Extensions> node seems to be ignored by the Deploy command. Or at least I cannot see the XML which I have put into the <Extensions> field.

Is including <Extensions> field using the Deploy-command a "known missing feature"? Or do I have to use a certain syntax in the <Extensions> field (or another field) to deploy my own extensions XML?

Regards,
Johan

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Unfortunately, that data field is not supported in the deploy command from HAT’s system.
It has to go in via CRM’s UI or SDK.

Mattb.