Issues with communication between applications

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

First off, I'd like to ask if there are any better sources of documentation for this than the included CHM files.  I've been looking into an implementation of the CCA for several days now, and keep running into completely or partially undocumented, or unclearly documented areas, that have made my life quite difficult.

Anyway, the real issue I'm having is that I have attempted the same procedure - a very simple one - on two separate CCA Installs.  The basic procedure is: Set up two hosted applications: a CRM Contact, and Calculator.  Export two values from CRM into Calculator, pushing the right buttons at the right time, and export the value back to CRM.  This just doesn't work on one install, because once I did more tracing in the workflow and created a few if statements with FindControl tasks, I realised that the control could only see applications that it was linked to - in other words, if I linked the workflow task to the hosted application Calc, it could only see Calcs exposed fields; if I linked it to Contact, it could only see Contacts exposed fields.

On the other install, the 'screen-scraping' works, however the default UII Action doesn't - I configured it so that the Contact and Account pages would be launched, used the UII Debugger to ensure the right values were being passed into the Context, and set up the UII Actions so that the query string was "id=%ContactID", as per another post here on CodePlex.  Unfortunately, neither of those default actions worked.  So I tried to set a default action up with a workflow task - and that didn't work.

Can anyone advise as to other sources of documentation that can actually assist in resolving these issues?

Finally, can anyone advise where a CCA implementation of the TaskGuide that was used in the CCF VPC (CRM ICC VPC 2009) can be found?  We have a customer who would be very interested in that solution, however it's using the old CCF database infrastructure and configuration systems, and also doesn't include any source code in the VPC to allow for modification.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM

I have examples of that sort of stuff up on my blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/mbarbour, as well as a download or 2 for working examples.  

TaskGuide is not something we are including in UII.. it’s a component that was built by Microsoft for our own call centers and we deploy / use via our MCS organization. Currently, If you want use TaskGuide, you would need to engage the Microsoft MCS team though your account rep

As for the general quality of the CHM, Yes.. I agree, we are trying to make it better over time.

Generally if you run into questions, this is a good place to post them.

MattB.

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM
Edited Nov 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Thanks very much.  I'll be honest, I've managed to get the screen-scraping, value-swapping working (More or less) now, thanks to blogs and sites like yours.  I hate to be the sort of person who responds with, "I fixed it!", but it really is one of those situations where there were just too many options to configure to clearly say which one fixed it...  I will advise anyone who is doing it - keep reading, keep plugging at it, it will soon enough click.

I'll pass the details on the TaskGuide on to our management team - I know that we've had some clients who've seen the ICC VPC, and were keen to see it, so it will be interesting to see where it goes from here.

Thanks again!